Wednesday, July 4, 2018

FOURTH DAY


SEXUALITY

To lead us into this theme we were assisted by two members of the Institute of Human Sexuality based in Nairobi, Sr. Mary Owens, ibvm who guided us in the aspect of INTIMACY and on the aspect of SEXUALITY and CELIBACY and Sr. Loretta , Sister of St. Brigitte, who guided us in the aspect of SEXUALITY and SPIRITUALITY
Here are some insights and questions we reflected on: 
  • What is my experience of intimacy? 
  • How am I growing in it? 
We defined intimacy as an experience of knowing and being known at the level of our essential selves. As being wholly and deeply touched by others. 

Growing in intimacy means knowing my relational story. The story of my journey towards friendship and human communion.  The story of my emotional and spiritual awakenings of my desires and my dreams. The story of my enthusiasms of soaring feeling and broken hearts. The story of my dependencies, my attachments, my embarrassment and shame, my reciprocity. The story of my becoming relational, capable of loving and understanding the origin of my attitudes.

To develop intimacy asks of openness of oneself in the sense of cultivating a willingness to be influenced by others, by situations, being open to change and letting go of my defenses, particularly the need for perfection and control. In short, it asks for learning to accept and love the person I am. 
We were invited to ask ourselves: 
  • Do I love myself the way I am at this moment? Without fear that the others will reject me.
  • Do I value my body this morning? What is happening in my emotions this morning? What am I feeling this moment?
The sexual drive will always be there, but if we suppress it can come in other forms such us: misuse of power, bitterness and anger, drinking or eating disorder, embittered moralizing about sex or in depression.
We looked at how in the Gospel Jesus is revealed in different qualities of care, nurture, tenderness, affection, warmth and compassion. We also saw how along the history of the Church there is a strong tradition of celibate intimacy: St Theresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross, St. Francis of Assis and St. Claire, etc.  It is therefore; appropriate to take the risk of loving that is how we grow whole.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCES FROM THE DAY

Sr. AGNES WAWERU

Sr. Agnes Waweru 
“Today, I was reminded of being aware of my sexuality. It is something to be embraced as a gift from God. Wherever we are, we are in relation with other people and we live intimacy in different stages and levels, from a more superficial way to a deeper one. What is important for me as a religious is to be attentive not to affect or exclude the relationship with others. Intimacy helps me to be open, trust and share with the one I am free with for more growth”

 Hélène a droit avec 

Sr. Hèléne Kavula
“Jesus went beyond his own culture (Lk 7:36-50) to give more life and he always looked at the dignity of each person. I am also called to be myself, to listen to my heart desire and to let the Spirit enlighten me so as to live Jesus’s values. 

In my life, I will face many challenges, however, I am called to be open enough to share to the person I trust in the community. I also have to be compassionate to those who are in need as Jesus did"

 Sr. Redempta Kabahweza

Sr. Redempta Kabahweza
“Today has been a special day for me; my understanding of intimacy has been transformed. I better understood how it is a gift from God to me to express my intimate love to others and to accept other’s intimate love. It is not something to be afraid of, but a treasure that makes me a whole human being  as long as I respect both my own boundaries and the boundaries of the others.” 


2 comments:

  1. Hello to all of you from Germany.
    It is very nice to be able to take part in your session.
    It seems to be very interesting and I see only smiling faces.
    I am united with all of you in prayer and I wish you a blessed time with one another in the company of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete