Friday, June 1, 2018

SISTER THERESA CHIMWEMWE MGANGIRA (NAIROBI, KENYA)

SISTER THERESA CHIMWEMWE MGANGIRA
NAIROBI, KENYA


As a MSOLA, how have you been a ‘woman apostle’ in the different places where you have been?   

I have been a “woman apostle” in different places where I was living and working: First by deepening my relationship with Jesus through prayer--My personal prayer, community prayer, through discernment, retreats, recollection and consciousness examen. Through all this I came to realise that I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me.

Through the different services that I have rendered, I became aware that when I am at the service of others I am at the service of God. Recalling what I saw in our sisters before I joined the Congregation, their zeal to go out and visit the people in the village during their free time touched me. I therefore, set time to visit people in the villages, street children and different people living on the street.

I strived to have a positive attitude and to share the gift of joy with others, striving to live the attitudes of forgiveness with the challenges that go with it. 

 When I met with difficulties, I did not lose hope in Jesus and I always turn to our mother Mary to intercede for me.

Was there any prophetic action you remember particularly? Could you explain it?

I do not know if it is prophetic. The sight of a group of poor children sleeping on the street when we were driving to MASS TOUCHED SOMETHING in my heart. I felt that something had to be done. But how, I did not know.  I had to find ways of being close to them e.g. once a month I was with them at night and I spent a night on the street to witness what life was for them, including the lepers and blind people. It was dangerous but the street children protected me and my community in Mwanza was supportive but most of all I strongly believed that I was not alone. God was always with me, protecting me.

One day when I was chatting with some street boys along the Lake shore in Mwanza an incident occurred. As usual I was dressed for street apostolate. I was in simple jeans and t-shirt with a little blue kerchief on my head which helped the boys to recognize me. Suddenly two policemen in civilian clothes appeared. The boys recognized them and they started running away. They caught them and tied their torn shirts together. As for me they told me to be together with the boys, scolding me all the way to the police station saying I should be ashamed to be taking bhang with the boys. In actual fact no one was smoking bhang. We arrived there at the police station. We were asked to give our names. They started beating the boys. I told the policeman to stop beating them because none of us was smoking bhang. He asked me what I was doing there. I told them that I was on duty trying to help these boys. He asked me what my name was. I said ‘Sister Chimwemwe Mgangira’. He asked me to what church I belong to. I told him that I was a Roman Catholic Sister. His face nearly fell down. He said he was a Catholic and that he had never seen a nun dressed like I was. He insisted that I had to answer charges together with the boys. After a while I told him that I had to phone one of my sisters because no one knew what was happening. I phoned Anna Brigitta who phoned the late Archbishop Antony Mayala. He was upset and phoned the police chief who happened to be a Catholic, explaining to him that the sister who was at the police station was A Missionary Nun, who was asked by the Archdiocese of Mwanza to work with the children living on the street. It goes without saying that the police-chief was upset too. He sent one of his men to go and call the Nun who was taken from the lake shore with the boys. Finding that Nun was not easy. Dialogue between the Archbishop helped the police chief to become aware that the Nun was more or less dressed like someone from the street except that she had a Cross. I was called in and the chief apologized for what happened and prepared a special card explaining who I was and that I should be given assistance when needed. I felt I fought for justice and since then the police gave me help when I worked at night, when our boys were taken in police custody because of some violence, petty stealing or some prostitutes I worked with in a number of bars at night. Being with them helped me to become aware through their stories that they were longing for love, a listening ear and understanding. I thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to start the project of the street children which is now known as Upendo Daima. I asked the police chief to release them so they were released. I felt this experience helped me to fight for justice and truth.

When you think of your experience of living in international and intercultural communities, what comes to you? Some words, an image, joys, challenges… 

When I think of my experience of living in international and intercultural communities many things come to me. - an invitation of learning to appreciate certain aspects of my culture which I took for granted. e.g. saying THANK you, sharing even some small things, respect for the older people, hospitality. Richness. I learnt certain attitudes from the sisters from different cultures and nationalities. It is a witness of love and unity, openness and forgiveness. Sometimes different things may mean different things to different people. A sense of humour, to be able to laugh at yourself at times. Telling yourself that it is not yet the end of the world. Generalization can be very painful especially when it is a negative comment about certain tribes or nationalities. IT CAN BE LIKE A FORM OF VIOLENCE. 

The image I have is of A RAINBOW.

We are the younger MSOLA generation, still in the stage of temporary vows: what would you like to say to us? 

To the younger MSOLA generation I would like to say: “Thank you for your different contributions in many different ways. Many of you are talented and are generous and available to use your gifts for the good of the community.  Deepen your relationship with Jesus who has called you. While you are still young and full of energy do not be afraid to take on or accept responsibilities when you can. Each one of you is a gift to the congregation. Allow that gift to be used in a fruitful way. Don’t be afraid, trust in God and in your MSOLA family.


Interviewed by Sr. Marie Sakina Kataluka
Nairobi, Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment