Monday, May 21, 2018

SR. FRANCINE MAAS (ARUSHA, TANZANIA)

SR. FRANCINE MAAS
ARUSHA, TANZANIA


As MSOLA, you have been a "woman apostle" in different places and countries: Tanzania, Canada, and Rome, Italy.

In my very first mission, back in 1974, after studying Swahili, I was a nurse in the government hospital of Mpanda.  My special responsibility was caring for the sick children.  I liked that so very much and it was such a joy for me, and their parents, when they went home from the hospital cured.  Some of the children had high fevers from malaria or they were very sick with measles. Some had broken a leg and others had been accidently burned by hot water or uji (hot porridge).  Usually, I worked during the daytime, but I also took my turn for night duty.  In addition to this, I was also the school nurse, and  taught the health sciences to the girls of our domestic science school, who were 15 to 20 years old.  

My next mission appointment was in Ottawa, Canada where, after my juniorate, I was the assistant to our novice mistress for one group of five novices.

Then in 1980, after having a nice long vacation with my parents, I went to live in a village called Kitwe K’yenkura, in north-western Tanzania, where together with two other sisters I did pastoral work.  We served the five-outstation communities at the southern end of the parish.  Through the process of home visiting, we got to know the people and to help/encourage them in the living of their Christianity. We did not only visit the Christians, but all of the people who were open to welcome us.  One day, at the end of a visit to a Moslem family the man told me: “Tonight God is going to sleep with us since you have visited our home”.
This was the era of the beginning of Small Christian Communities, so assisting the people in the learning to animate the prayer meetings and the Sunday prayer service without a priest, was an essential part of our work.  What I liked the most was going, with the Eucharist, to the villages on Sunday mornings.  The catechist would lead the service and then I would distribute Holy Communion.  After the service, there was usually a meeting of the Christians followed by a family meal for all.

From there I went to live in Kipalapala, 1984 – 1990 and served as a provincial assistant, thus the work was leadership and administration.  

My next mission was in Ussongo, where I was the matron of our Maternity and Bedded Dispensary of 45 beds.  The specific mandate I was given was to prepare the Sisters, Daughters of Mary of Tabora, to take over the health unit.  I enjoyed very much working side-by side with them. During this time, I had the joy of helping a few women give birth to their babies.  These were beautiful experiences.  
From there, in mid-1992, I went to Mwanza, the second largest city in Tanzania.  My apostolic work there was as a member of the team of the Archdiocese assisting people and orphans affected by HIV/AIDS.  In the beginning, I was involved in counseling and home care, but then got busy with writing requests for financial assistance, as we needed funds to support our work.

My next appointment, in 1996 was to the then capital of Tanzania – Dar-es-Salaam where I had two services.  On 3 days of the week, I was the financial manager of PASADA the organization of the Archdiocese of Dar-es-Salaam to assist people and orphans affected by HIV/AIDS.  Three other days, I did various types of administration work and shopping for all of our communities in Tanzania.

In September 2003, I left Dar to go to Rome to become our General Treasurer.  Since we are an international congregation, we have two languages: English and French. In order to be able to do my work in Rome, I had to first learn French.  As for the financial aspect of the work, I learned that “on the job” as the only formal preparation I had, in the line of finances, was a 3-week session to prepare provincial treasurers for their work.  I was in Rome for 12 years, collaborating with our treasurers in all of the various countries and provinces.    It was in our charism of “being initiators” that I found my place in this responsibility of general treasurer.

In June of 2016, another sister took on this responsibility and I went home to the USA for a good rest and time of spiritual renewal. In July 2017, after the General Chapter, I was happy to return to Tanzania.  This time I am in Arusha as part of our team of four sisters giving formation to our eight postulants who come from the neighboring countries of: Rwanda, Uganda and Kenya.  My main responsibilities are:

Teaching - knitting, crochet, embroidery, cross-stitch, different types of creativity, cooking, baking, and some sewing;
Laundry, caring for the linens of the community and many practical things around the house.  As our aim is formation, most of this is done together with the postulants so that they learn;
I am also the nurse of the community.  Happily, so far there has not been anything serious.

Therefore, you see that being a missionary, calls for one to do many different things… according to what is needed.

Was there any prophetic action you particularly remember? Could you explain it?

I cannot think of any.

When you think of your experience of living in international and intercultural communities, what comes to you?  Some words, an image, joys, challenges...

The image that comes to me is a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Why did I choose a bouquet that is laying down and spread out?  This image represents our call to go out, not remaining a bouquet on a table to be admired, but we are called to go out together, witnessing to the unity that the love of Christ brings.

JOYSBeing open to and experiencing all of the various elements of the different cultures is very enriching.  Learning how others celebrate their national feasts, with songs and dances, certain types of food and typical ways of being together is very interesting. It is a joy when one is able to understand and speak the two languages of the congregation.  To be able to speak with each of my sisters and to no longer have to listen to a translation at a meeting is terrific.

CHALLENGESComing from different cultures, we have different ways of understanding matters and of expressing ourselves.   Even though we may be speaking the same language, the meaning that each one puts behind the words may be very different.  This can easily cause clashes amongst us, simply due to a lack of understanding.  It is a challenge to clarify if I have understood what the other has communicate, even if the words seem to be very clear to me.   Another challenge is to react calmly when one presents a typical food of one’s country and it is looked down upon by another and not even tasted (and this is not due to health reasons).  This can also happen in the ways that we may react to the way that someone prepares a feast, for example Christmas.  At almost 50 years of profession, I am still discovering how ways of doing can be different from what I ever knew: praying the prayer of the day….

We are the younger MSOLA generation, still in the stage of temporary vows, what would you like to say to us?

Hold on to the values that we have inherited from Cardinal Lavigerie and Mother Salome.

Read the publications of the congregation. Therein, you gain not only knowledge but it will help you to deepen your belonging to the body….we are one.

No matter how difficult it may be, learn the two languages of the congregation.  In this way, you will be able to communicate with all of your sisters and attend/participate in meetings with ease. 

Carry-over what you learn in one experience to another…this will make things easier for you.

Be slow to judge the other who is different from you in personality, experience, culture, etc.

Learn to organize.  This takes time, but facilitates matters for yourself, your sisters, and the people you serve.

Take on the positive aspects of the other cultures and pass on your own and you will be enriched.


Interviewed by Sr. Priscille Nisubire
Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania

1 comment:

  1. Sr. Francis Nadeau, here it's Margareth Lasham from Rombo-Kilimanjaro. Your always in my heart, and prayers. I 'll be grateful if I will here from you.
    My Phone no. Is +255 763395947.

    ReplyDelete