Tuesday, May 8, 2018

SR. REVOCATE KABAHUMA (LILONGWE, MALAWI)

SR. REVOCATE KABAHUMA
LILONGWE, MALAWI

As a MSOLA, how have you been a ‘woman apostle’ in the different places where you have been? 

As a woman apostle among the many people of different countries where I have been working that is to say, in Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia, I have always journeyed with the people, accompanied them and pointed at Jesus for them to know and to love. I enjoyed myself being amongst the women, the children and the youth. Being a formator, that is in ongoing formation amongst the Christian leaders, filled my heart with joy. This is how I felt I was to journey, to accompany and to form them like Jesus.

Was there any prophetic action you remember particularly? Could you explain it?

When we talk of “prophetic action”, I am fully convinced that I am a prophetess and the work of a prophetess is to announce and denounce.

In announcing, I have been a person who has been giving hope to many, I announced the good news to so many. Amongst them were the children, the people with HIV Aids, leaders through training for transformation, helping each one to wake up and work - that’s the good news of liberation.

In denouncing, I have denounced oppression especially amongst women who were battered by their husbands.

I denounced poverty, by dethroning illiteracy. 

I have been a voice of the voiceless. For example, there was a young girl who was abused by the uncle, through incest. It was a taboo to talk about it in public and they kept the child hidden until someone courageous told me it was going on and I went and found the child rotting; then I took the child to the hospital by force. When the child healed, I started hunting for this uncle and talked to all the chiefs around. Unfortunately, the uncle had run to Zimbabwe, but I tried my best. 

When you think of your experience of living in international and intercultural communities, what comes to you? Some words, an image, joys, challenges… 

The words that can express it are the Pascal mystery, which I have experienced. In the Pascal mystery there is Passion, Death and Resurrection. As we are all aware, living amongst people whom you were not born with is a big challenge; you have to accept to die to yourself and it is not only you, but also each member of that community. There is a suffering but the resurrection is there as well, which is the joy.

The image I can give is of the pregnant womanpreparing for the birth. There is that beautiful caring of the baby who is within her. She nourishes it and nurtures it, but there is that time when the baby has to come out; it is a short moment of labor and the pain is terrible! But then the tears are wiped away when this fruit has come out! This is it: if we can work in our communities, then through that we come to that fruit which is the “acceptance of our differences”. We can do this if we keep that awareness that we have not chosen one another, but we are chosen and sent by Jesus Christ Himself.

We are the younger MSOLA generation, still in the stage of temporary vows: what would you like to say to us? 

You are young and temporary professed. I would say that all the time remind yourself of the first fire and love for your vocation. It should be kept alive, because nobody forced you. This should urge you to remain attached to Jesus Christ. When things don’t go well, you run to Jesus.

My young sister, this life is lived together, we are called together, and it is not an individual thing. If I quote the words of Archbishop Telespo Mpundu of Lusaka, he said, “The mission is not for an individual, it is for the group,” so we have to be reminded that we are journeying together. If you cut yourself from the group, you are finished.

Let the words of John 15:1- 12 be at the core of yourself - we are attached to Jesus Christ , there is no  tree which has one branch so let your prayer be – I remain attached to you Lord Jesus Christ. I, and each one, prays the same; we are all fixing our self on one God.


Interviewed by Sr. Jane Francis Namaganda 
Lilongwe, Malawi

No comments:

Post a Comment