Friday, June 1, 2018

SR. ELISABETH BIELA TRIER (SÜDALLE, GERMANY)


SR. ELISABETH BIELA
TRIER SÜDALLE, GERMANY


As a MSOLA, how have you been a woman apostle in the different places where you have been?

I have been a woman apostle in the different apostolates I have been involved in. In Ghana I was involved in pastoral work. I loved teaching catechism, and had wished to train mother catechists in the villages because I am convinced that, as mothers, they will pass on the faith to their children. But it came differently. One of the sisters teaching in the Minor Seminary in Wa, fell ill so I was asked to teach Bible Knowledge in her place. I asked myself what I would do with these boys. I wanted to be with the women, but I took up the challenge. I became an apostle to the boys helping them to open up, understand that women and men are equal. It was not easy. The boys were not used to be taught by women. As my approach to the Bible was catechetical and life orientated they had difficulties as they were used to learn the Bible to pass exams. But they succeeded well in their exams in spite of my life approach. 

Being an apostle, I tried to share the gifts I had received, the gift of love I received from God, my family and the Congregation. As an apostle in Africa, this was my discovery: when you come to Africa, keep quiet, listen deeply to the life, observe and learn the customs, enter the life of the people, let their life transform you and take up the good practices and values from the people.

I hope I have been an apostle in my community and beyond through animating prayers, recollections and other sessions when I was asked to do so. I loved to give my best for the aspirants and the youth.

Working with Bishop Peter Poreku Dery in Ghana I learnt a lot from him. His openness to the poor, his way of listening as if you were the only one that mattered and his way of dealing with persons whom others had written off. He challenged me in many ways and offered me his confidence and trust. Often, he would come to the house and ask me to undertake a new activity, fields in which I was not trained, but I managed. He was able to see the gifts in people.

Being in the provincial team, I shared my experiences and talents. Animating the communities, reflecting together with the Sisters, encouraging them. It was another school for me, learning, making mistakes, falling and rising. It was an opportunity to enter more into the inner life of the congregation. Working in a team was enriching to me.

After 10 years in Ghana I was asked to do MVA in Germany. I never thought that I would have loved these 6 years so much. I discovered my own Church. Having fallen in love with the lively African Church and culture, I could not imagine ever feeling at home in my own Church and country again. It is a fact that I had changed and so had to adapt to my own culture. The young people were of great help to me. They laughed at me, they taught me methods that were used in youth work at that time and made the desire grow in me to do training in youth and spirituality as in-service training. Till today I profit from this. I felt very close to the youth. At that time, I did not realize what our presence, Missionaries of Africa both brothers and sisters, did to the young people.  Today I know as I am still in contact with them and we meet and have become friends. Some write or tell me how much they had been helped to grow in faith through the various types of meetings. Life and faith were linked so much, as we prayed, offered retreats but also feasted together. For me it has been a wonderful time.

After, I was appointed to Burkina Faso, Bobo-Dioulasso. To me it looked rather like a disappointment as I loved Ghana very much. But I learned that obedience and availability bring fruit, at least it did for me.  My time, only three years as diocesan secondary school chaplain were wonderful. We worked in a team of sisters and lay persons helped by students of the upper classes. It was a great experience. Bishop Sanon had confidence in us and he accepted that we try new methods and ways in the youth catechetics. He went along with nearly everything. What I appreciated was our living quarters and community. We lived in Sya in the youth chaplaincy, thus students shared our life. 

After three years I was asked once more to join the Provincial team for another 6 years. It would be too much to share these experiences.  

My last ten years before leaving Africa, I lived again in Tamale in charge of the formation of teachers who were teaching religion, more than half of them were Muslims, and the formation of catechists and many other pastoral workers. These years were filled with creativity, good collaboration, admiration of the women and men ready to spread the Gospel. My greatest joy was the creation of the star singers, society of Missionary Childhood. My point was to help the children and animators realize that we are not only on the receiving side. Just like the children in Germany go around, in the cold winter, dressed up as the three wise men, blessing the houses, singing and praying and collecting money for needy children in the world, we also could do this. This was an opportunity to share with the children how other kids live, speaking of children soldiers, children living in even poorer conditions than themselves. The children were very active throughout the year. After Christmas they went around blessing the houses and they sent the money to Germany for the poor children elsewhere. 

During these years I also had a lot of contact with the department of inter-religious dialogue as the teachers had to be instructed in both Christian and Islamic religion. I made many friends. 

As a leader now, I have developed an approach of mercy to my sisters. I have learnt to see the person. The person is at the center whoever they are. I have learnt to let my sisters live with inner freedom and I am helping the elderly sisters to learn to give freedom to each other, allow each one to do things at their own pace. Once more I learn a lot from each one in her way of being a missionary till the end of her life. The sisters are an example to me. It is a great challenge being a leader in Europe at this time. The sisters need attention, in their illness they need care and love. To accompany so many sisters till their death is a grace but also a constant reminder of my own frailty and limited life. It is all together another way of being a leader. I admire the sisters in their serenity. Others are still active outside working with elderly persons, with refugees etc. They are all missionaries till the end through their activities and the offering of their sickness and suffering for the people in the world, especially Africa and you the young sisters. 

During my 50 years of missionary and religious life I remained a seeker, never have I been able to say that I have arrived. I went through doubts, falls and getting up, and I am grateful for this. I have learned, and I am still learning to live each day as a gift from God. I have participated actively also in the life of the congregation through chapters, leadership, change of structures. I know that more is lying ahead. In times of illness, especially my accident, I have been taught that acceptance of what is, is the best healer, so why worry? Say yes to all that comes along the way, befriend what is difficult, befriend your shadow don’t fight and waste your energies. This I have learned. I have also been graced with the many pardons the sisters and others offered me. Reconciliation and acceptance of each other are a great gift. Not easy to live, never totally accomplished.

Any prophetic action you remember particularly?

Elisabeth says it would be difficult to say for herself that this or that action was prophetic unless others who have witnessed one or other way she was a prophet but she has this to say….. For me, I have felt called to share my faith and talents, in fact my whole life to the best I could and can. I have been called and sent to be a witness of God’s great love and compassion to all. I have tried to be faithful to this calling. For me the call remained important especially in moments when I would have liked to give up, to pack my suitcase and take another way. I realized at these moments that I was not called to fulfill myself, but the call had to do with those I was sent to. I had a responsibility. I felt at all times that I must listen anew to God’s calling. Not always easy, but rewarding and the only way for me to live. 

When you think of your experience of living in international and intercultural communities what comes to you?

I had a lovely time with my sisters from Africa, Canada, England, Malta, Spain…..It was a very enriching experience. Community life was a sign of what we are called to be, sisters and brothers because of Jesus who has brought us together. I learnt to appreciate other ways of doing things, of praying, feasting, learning dances. It was a learning process of living with people who are from a different background and culture, learning to accept and be accepted in our differences, learning that no culture or person is superior to another and that things can be done differently. This is an unending process of learning and I have to be aware of the little racist in me. I would not like to miss any day or year of our intercultural living; my life would be so much poorer.

We are the younger MSOLA generation, still in the stage of the temporary vows. What would you like to say to say to us?

Wherever you are sent on mission, listen deeply, open your eyes, watch people, learn from the people. See Jesus in the people and offer what you have been given graciously without counting. Take time to connect with Jesus, learn from Him how to be a missionary, and have time for your community and yourself. Be connected to Jesus, yourself and the others without ever losing sight of what is important in life.

In case of difficulties, don’t give up and run away but go to Jesus, share with your Sisters and seek help. Openness and honesty are then ever more important. 

To finish, I can say that I am grateful for all I have met on my way. I am grateful to the congregation and the trust that has been given to me. I am happy being a Missionary Sister of Our Lady of Africa. I am proud that I can feast my 50 years with our 150 years and I put all my joy in preparing with others the celebration in Germany. I wish you, the younger sisters to find the same joy in your life. 

I felt very enriched by the sharing I had with Sr. Elisabeth. I am glad to share it with you my dear Sisters.


Interviewed by Sr. ANNA NDUKU MUIA
Gumo, Ghana

No comments:

Post a Comment